[Terrapreta] Increase of TP soils in the Amazon.

Mary Lehmann mlehmann3 at austin.rr.com
Wed Jun 18 12:52:33 CDT 2008

Dear Lou-

  Kevin says "Didn't you [Lou] post an article on your Blogsite
showing how Terra Preta actually "grows"? The article was about
Brazilians who harvest TP for sale elsewhere. The article clearly
noted that they find that vegetation that falls into depressions and
low lying areas is converted to TP for harvesting about 20 years later."

 From other reading I gathered that the soil next to the terra preta
turned into terra preta after 20 years.  I think the people to
consult as to what really happens are the people who have collected
Terra Preta over the years.  Do scientists have any data on this?
Could there be such a thing as spontaneous charring, either due to a
strange property of plants or microbes in a particular environment?

That research should continue, but for practical reasons, developing
a list of people experienced in charring that collects the byproducts
to recycle for fuel, and getting those people setting up and keeping
continuous projects going, like cities' charring their waste, should
be the first order of business.   Be guided by the fact that we are
in a fight against Time.  We should be getting governments at all
levels to learn about, to finance, and to develop charring operations
as soon as we can.  We'll have to learn as we go.

LATER:  It occurs to me that if the energy crisis is met by making
changes in our culture that are basic enough, like having free but
limited energy rationing per capita -as M.K. Hubbert suggested and
Britain is now considering, people will want to cut energy
consumption  and develop small scale charring for their vegetable
gardens just to survive.  Should we  be giving more attention to
explaining to people how they may experience greater hardships to
come, and the value of Terra Preta then?

  Meanwhile, is the structure of this list still simple or divided
into topics?
Mary Lehmann