[Terrapreta] Using Activated Charcoal to Inactivate Agricultural Chemical Spills

Michael Bailes michaelangelica at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 02:39:49 CDT 2008

A company called Barmac here sells activated charcoal ("PickUp"") for green
keepers(Bowling Clubs) for fertiliser and pesticide spills. They have a
website.
Last I looked it was over $50 a litre (kilio?) certainly not  $2
Michael

2008/6/20 <shengar at aol.com>:

> Inactivating Pesticide Spills"If a pesticide is spilled accidently, if the
> wrong pesticide is applied, or if a pesticide is applied at an excessive
> rate, the best solution is to apply a material that will adsorb or
> inactivate the pesticide. Once the pesticide has been adsorbed, it is
> biologically inactive and cannot cause environmental contamination by
> running off in surface waters or leaching into groundwater. Activated
> charcoal (activated carbon) is the universal adsorbing material for most
> pesticides. Powdered activated charcoal is made up of very small carbon
> particles that have a high affinity for organic chemicals such as
> pesticides. Activated charcoal has a large surface area to which organic
> molecules can bind. When it is applied to pesticide-contaminated soil, the
> pesticide molecules are attracted to the charcoal particles and bind to them
> when they come into contact"
>

> http://www.bae.ncsu.edu/programs/extension/publicat/wqwm/ag442.html
>

> "Activated charcoal is manufactured by many companies, such as ICI
> Americas, Inc. and West Virginia Pulp and Paper Company. It is available
> through your local agricultural chemical dealer. Two commonly used
> agricultural carbons are Gro-Safe (ICI Americas) and NuChar S-A (Westvaco).
> Activated charcoal usually costs about $1 per pound or less."
>

> Hi All,
> I thought this was pertinent  to the post concerning  biochar  &  Roundup
> a few weeks ago.
>
> I thought I would send the above Activated charcoal producers a post  to
> make sure they were apprised of the current progress in TP soils technology
> in hopes to get them interested.
>
> Cheers,
> Erich

Michael the Archangel
"Politicians will never solve The Problem;
because they don't realise they are The Problem.".
-Robert ( Bob ) Parsons 1995