[Terrapreta] Citations?

F. Marc de Piolenc piolenc at archivale.com
Sun Jun 22 01:55:04 CDT 2008

- Kevin and Marc:   Where may I go to find the Gore and Hansen
distortions of which you speak?  (Citations with page numbers.)

Gore's distortions are in his movie - but I assume you're referring
to the actual facts that he distorted. I don't have that; here in my
outpost of civilization I have neither the access nor the time to dig it up.

I believe the claim that the oceans control atmospheric CO2 because
the solubility data (which I do have, and anybody can get) clearly
show that the mass of CO2 in the oceans is many times that in the air
- and many, many times Man's puny contribution, which is only a tiny
fraction of what is in the atmosphere. And the temperature vs
solubility data show that it only requires a small water temperature
increase to release vast quantities of CO2 into the air. Now the
greenhouse model says that more CO2 should bring about higher
temperatures, which would in turn release more CO2, and the Earth
would long ago have become like Venus. Instead, the fossil record
shows that Earth once had an atmosphere that was much richer in CO2,
but survived to become what it is today. Clearly, there are
restraining mechanisms at work, because the ice core data show
periodic oscillations occurring over millenia, not a steady rise and
certainly not the catastrophic excursion that our simplistic model
would predict. Obviously, there are restraining mechanisms at work -
negative feedback. One possible mechanism is water vapor - increases
in H2O in the atmosphere raise the Earth's albedo, reducing solar
gain. There may be others. The point is that they must exist, for
things to be as they are.

  - vMy perception is that both (and ice core scientists like Lonnie
Thompson) have clearly stated (with both theoretical and experimental
evidence) that temperature and CO2 are self-reinforcing.  Do you
really believe that CO2 cannot raise temperature?   Any citation that
I can look up on  that conclusion?

In a simple system - a greenhouse for example - raising CO2 levels
does increase heat trapping. But the atmosphere of Earth is not a
greenhouse, and it is quite clear from the data that the greenhouse
effect is not dominant there. The greenhouse model predicts that
warming will occur first at the tropopause, then propagate down to
the surface. But even where there seems to be a warming trend, it is
the surface that is warming first.

And now, back to carbon in soil...

Marc