[Terrapreta] deterring snails

Michael Bailes michaelangelica at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 08:47:45 CDT 2008

>From my experience snails don't like very dry surfaces.
 I always collect them on damp nights.

Many use sharp sawdust to deter them from new seedlings  although this only
lasts a few days before it breaks down.
Charcoal being hygroscopic would deter snails I would think.
.
Some snails seem only interested in rotting vegetation like some slugs (??)

A old article in The English RHS journal pointed out that mature snails
excreted a "birth control" substance in their slime/tracks that slowed the
development of younger snails.
So when we 'squish' the older ones we are helping the youngsters to survive
and develop !!

Perhaps the French have the best snail control method ? :)
Michael

2008/6/16 folke Günther <folkeg at gmail.com>:

> We think we can see some effects on snails (notably *Arion lusitanicus*)
> by adding fresh charcoal rather sparsely upon the soil, or by making a
> 'fence' around a plant.
> Even plants that the snails adore, as celery or parsley, are protected from
> the snails by a rather thin fence (the snails would easily be able to zigzag
> through if they wanted to without touching the char.
> Has anybody else seen these effects?
> FG
>
> --
> NB :Send your mails to folkeg at gmail.com, not to holon.se
> Folke Günther
> Kollegievägen 19
> 224 73 Lund
> Sweden
> Phone: +46 (0)46 141429
> Cell: +46 (0)709 710306
> BLOG: http://folkegunther.blogspot.com/

Michael the Archangel
"Politicians will never solve The Problem;
because they don't realise they are The Problem.".
-Robert ( Bob ) Parsons 1995