[Terrapreta] TP Secondary Benefits

William Carr Jkirk3279 at qtm.net
Wed Jun 25 13:34:28 CDT 2008

I just noticed something....

This season I did the TP Trench Method in a 20 ft long by 3 ft wide
plot and then planted some tomatoes there.

I was expecting secondary benefits;   that heat-treating the soil would

a) kill the inimical bacteria in the soil so I could re-introduce
healthy microflora; and

b) unlock some of the trapped N and K into bio-available forms.

I think I may have chanced on a third benefit.

Many of the tomatoes first planted in the “Control” patch were killed.

I surmised the problem might be cutworms and, since I had a large
supply of cloned seedlings, replaced the lost plants and wrapped the
stems with aluminum foil cones.

The replacement plants also died !     Sheared off at soil level.

Also, even some older, established plants were damaged by having
branches lopped off,  up to 12 inches above soil level.

So I tried waxed paper collars, and out of desperation planted more
seedlings in my protected, fenced off area I use for beans ( on the
theory it might be a raccoon ).

Want to guess what happened?

Most of those plants also died.   It seems that my garden has a
terrible cutworm infestation this year.    Or ....  Ninja Raccoons,
equipped with fence climbing equipment.

So I planted the last of my seedlings, powdered the ground around them
with diatomaceous Earth, and as of yesterday evening had only lost one
more seedling.

Then I happened to glance at the TP patch and wondered why those
plants were immune.

Some of the plants that were killed were damaged a foot above the
ground, but these were untouched.

Because they had thicker stems ... or because the heat from the
burning coals killed off all the cutworm larvae in that soil ???

Hmmm.

William Carr