[Terrapreta] Effect of Washing Charcoal

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Fri Jun 27 08:10:23 CDT 2008

Philip we had no change in pH with our block study, with two types of
charcoal . Our charcoal home made had high ash content.

Buffering properties of soil comes into play in the explanation.
Typical result is pH 5.4, buffer pH 6.2  - no correlation of pH with
treatment.

I think the potential for pH change by charcoal in soil addition needs
to be qualified.

Our pH is getting a bit high for our native plants and we are
contemplating a sulphur treatment. Linked to this we would like to
apply rock phosphate as sulphur treatment releases P to plants. I
wonder if this combination with charcoal might be a good practice?

Rich