[Terrapreta] Biochar/Gassification Experimentation Kit

Bear Kaufmann bear at ursine-design.com
Fri Jun 27 17:24:10 CDT 2008

Hi all,

I've been assisting Jim Mason on the Gasifier Experimenters Kit
described in the original link.

The questions from Cameron have largely been answered by Lloyd Helferty,
but I'll try to add a little additional information.
> Cameron wrote: As I read it, biochar is like coke. It takes carbon out of circulation for a long period of time.
It is useful to distinguish between two major stocks of carbon:
atmospheric carbon and carbon retained in soil.

Coke is produced from coal in a process similar to the production of
charcoal from wood. Coal contains "fossil carbon" which has been
sequestrated below ground for millions of years.

Production of coke from coal will inherently release some of this fossil
carbon into the atmosphere. The remaining coke, if not combusted will
likely remain as fixed carbon for a long period afterwards.

Producing charcoal from biomass releases carbon (~50% of biomass C) that
was recently removed (age of plant, eg years to decades+) from the
atmosphere via photosynthesis. The remaining carbon (charcoal), if not
combusted will remain as fixed carbon for a long period afterwards
(100-1000's of years in soil).

Thus, while coke production is carbon-positive (leads to a net increase
of atmospheric CO2), producing charcoal from biomass and sequestering it
in soil is carbon-negative (leads to a net decrease of atmospheric CO2).
> Cameron wrote: What would it [carbon] have been doing in the specific environment in question if it had been dealt with in other ways?
Here I'll take "it" to refer to biomass carbon. In terms of soil
processes, if composted/allowed to decay the biomass would turn humic
substances: a heterogeneous suite of complex molecules that give most
soils their dark color. Humic substances have some of the a same
functional properties ascribed to charcoal in soils (eg. nutrient
retention). However, this process of decay leads to only a small
percentage of the carbon from biomass remaining in the soil for the long
term. Charcoal can sequester upwards of 50% of the biomass carbon (25%
of the biomass dry weight) in soils with very slow decay rates. Humic
substances are still a valuable component of soils.
> Lloyd wrote: Biochar doesn't just "fix nitrogen"
To clarify the term, biochar can adsorb nitrogen and prevent it from
leaching out of soils. The process of nitrogen fixation (turning
atmospheric N2 into plant available ions) only occurs via a few types of
microorganisms and industrially in the Haber-Bosch process that produces
chemical fertilizers.

Cheers,
Bear Kaufmann