[Terrapreta] Now: Biochar v. humus

Mark Ludlow mark at ludlow.com
Sat Jun 28 13:45:10 CDT 2008

Thank you, Wayne!

I appreciate your explanation of the interdependence of external conditions
and soil structure.

You say that: "Humus is stable in soil in some places." But then you suggest
that the stability refers to a terminal % in the A horizon (in a particular
system). Are you suggesting that humus is stable over time or that
generation and consumption reaches an equilibrium in undisturbed soil?

I understand the permanence of char. Prehistoric cave art executed with
charcoal is still vivid after 30,000 years. But is char a singular solution
to soil fertility and C sequestration in temperate climates, or should we be
considering a hybrid solution that includes humus as well? I was taught
(somewhere!) that humus is relatively immune to microbial digestion (nothing
was said about termites). It also shares or exceeds biochar's CEC, if I
understand things correctly. I don't know about the comparative conversion
efficiencies of labile carbonaceous material into humus versus char. Can you
shed some light on this?

Thanks, again.

Mark