[Terrapreta] Fwd: torrefied wood or charcoal?

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Sat Mar 1 23:05:47 CST 2008

Gerrit,

You can achieve the same thing by altering the volatile content of the
charcoal. Kingsford is probably using the same equipment in the same way
only they may be either leaving more volatile in the char or adding
volatiles to the char in the briquetting process. The grooves in the new
briquette are probably just a designer change in the die.  I suspect either
an additive or a minor change in processing. I think that significantly
lowering the pyrolysis process as in torrefaction would be difficult in
their multiple hearth furnaces. They may be just reducing the residence time
and running the char through faster.

Tom