[Terrapreta] Fwd: torrefied wood or charcoal?

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Sun Mar 2 13:00:23 CST 2008

Hi Gerrit,

Isn't torrefied wood just wood which is undergoing pyrolysis, but which was removed before it was completely converted into gases, liberated volatile matter, and charcoal?  If so, then I think the difference would be in the VM% content.  The VM is combustible and may itself work as a binder.

Regardless of how the properties of torrified vs charcoal effect it ability to charbroil barbequed chicken, what difference does this make with regard to its use as a soil amendment?  It seems to me that ash from burned wood, burned "torrefied" wood, or burned charcoal, all have a higher pH (these are more alkaline).  High ash content means higher pH.  This is not good for any soils unless they are very acidic to begin with.  Raising the soil pH lowers the cation exchange capacity (CEC), which plants need high in order to get necessary nutrients (P, K, I, N, S, Ca, Fe, Mg, etc) from the soil.  Higher pH is not a habitable environment for many soil micro-organisms, either.

Volatile matter is the partial decomposition products from the breakdown of cellulose, lignin, and hemi-cellulose.  It contains things like benzene and other "aromatic" compounds.  Many of these are phyto-toxins.  Torrefied wood likely contains more amounts and more varied types of these compounds.  Though torrefied wood may contain more BTUs per kilogram than charcoal, this energy content is of no value to plants per se, and the toxicity may undermine the activity of soil microbes or plant root systems before the porous charcoal has a chance to effect a soil ecosystem improvement.

I don't know, but I think torrefied is likely not as useful or effective in making an improvement to the soil as is low ash charcoal.