[Terrapreta] the scope of the problem

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Sun Mar 2 23:11:22 CST 2008

Hi Geoff,

I heat my house with wood during the winter.  We burn ~10-12 full cords of oak logs each year.  That is about 20-25 tons green.  I estimate the moisture content at 40% when I get it, and 15% once I cut, split, and stack it for burning.  I always have 10-20 cords out in the yard, air drying for a year or so.  It takes my son Kevin and I about 6 weekends to cut and stack it.  I used to split it all by hand.  I was getting "splitter's elbow", so I broke down and bought a hydraulic splitter.  I have gone through one STIHL chainsaw in 6 years of burning wood to heat the house (and clearing trees on the property before we built our house), but I have cut and split well over 150 tons of wood tearing that saw up (shot main bearings).

Although I use wood (recycled "carbon-neutral" energy) to heat the house for 3.5-4 months a year, rather than natural gas (the rest of the year), it is reduced entirely to ash.  There is very little charcoal produced.  My family of 4 (like yours, 2 kids, me, and my wife) would need 16 tons of biomass (about 8 cords of oak @ $75/cord = $600) and then the pyrolysis unit to make the charcoal.  I might get some energy out of that charring process too, less than half what I get if I burned the wood completely.  I intend to try and capture and use that heat and exhaust fuel gases to supply heat and or some electric power.

I think you are right about using any or all available sources of waste carbonaceous materials: yard wastes, paper and cardboard, agricultural residues, etc.  I think the logical place to get enough biomass continuously, is to use non-food annual plant growth that would otherwise decay and emit as CO2 anyway.  This way, there will be no reduction in the amount of living plant biomass on the Earth, while we take 25 -50 billion tons of residues out of the recycled carbon stream (natural processes recycle 120 billion tons of biomass each year out of and back into the atmosphere every year).

I have built a pyrolysis reactor.  I intend to start making charcoal with wood chips first, then maybe get chipped wood from municipal green waste yards (free for the hauling).  Eventually, I will build a portable reactor that can make charcoal "in situ", where waste biomass grows, where it can be dried, and where charcoal applications can be made.

This year I will make at minimum 4 tons of charcoal for use in soil.

Sean K. Barry
Principal Engineer/Owner
Troposphere Energy, LLC
11170 142nd St. N.