[Terrapreta] imagine this

MMBTUPR at aol.com MMBTUPR at aol.com
Mon Mar 3 07:25:49 CST 2008

          from          Lewis L Smith

Very interesting idea, but how would one monitor the transactions ?

For individual transactions, it seems to me that the experience of Ebay is
relevant and that is not exactly salutary.

As for "packages" of credits, we might still have a monitoring problem, even
if all the credits from a given municipality were "pooled" in some way, with
guaranteed standards like the mortgages in the highly successful GNMA pools.

In this regard, I recall the Allied soybean oil scandal in days when I was
even younger than I am now !   A man claimed to have soybean oil in tanks in New
Jersey and sold participations in the oil at a time when its price was
rising. Only in many cases the tanks were mostly filled with water with a little oil
floating on top. People got so swept up in speculating in and trading
participations that many of them never sent anyone to check out the tank farm where
their "oil" was supposedly stored. The rest is history. The perpetrator went to
jail, but a lot of people never even got their money back.

And nowadays of course, we have the subprime scandal. In this case, fraud has
probably been committed in at least a third of the cases where the mortgagee
has become delinquent within one year. And banks in Europe [ supposedly
fiduciary institutions ] have been left holding worthless mortgages on houses they
have never seen and whose owner they don't know how to find.

In Spanish, we have a saying, "Mucho hojo al pillo", which can roughly be
translated as "Keep a big eye open for the crook"   [ who may be marauding near
by. ]

Cordially.   ###

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)