[Terrapreta] the scope of the problem

Greg and April gregandapril at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 3 18:51:08 CST 2008

I think allot of it depends on the plants in question.

There are many plants that put on exceptional growth when young like, aspen, cottonwood, bamboo to name a few - but - it will be a matter of actually having enough space and a long enough growing season for it to happen.

If the trees are coppiced rather than cut down entirely, the large root systems actually provide for even faster regrowth.

Example:
My neighbor has a cottonwood that had a large branch that was sticking over my garage, and after I expressed my concern about it last year, they had it cut off.    Not two week later the tree was sending up new shoots, and from the time the branch was cut off last year to the time that growth stopped last fall, the one sapling that I left alone was 5 ft tall.

Take advantage of that sort of regeneration that many plants are capable of, and yes, you can harvest tons of biomass each year.

Colorado is currently having a problem with the Pine Bark Beetle in the State and National forests, and this bug is killing thousands of trees a year - all of those trees are being left, because eco-activists refuse to let the drastic measures that are needed be taken ( basically the dead and dieing trees along with those in the immediate vicinity have to be removed to control the spread of the beetles ).    That is hundreds of tons of wood in Colorado alone that could otherwise be put to beneficial use.

Greg H.