[Terrapreta] book recommendations for soil science?

Michael Bailes michaelangelica at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 02:47:32 CST 2008

I thing Organic gardening/farming and TP are re-defining soil/earth science.

I'm with you a good book on the subject would be good but I don't think it
exists.

At first we had NPK
Just add those, and things were fine.

Then we had NPK + micro nutrients (boron etc)

Now we have an infinitely more complex picture.
Soil micro flora, fauna, temperature, charcoal, water etc etc
There is a whole world under our feet: very little explored.

This is a copy of a post by Erich on
http://forums.hypography.com/terra-preta/10703-wee-beasties-other-critters-tp-5.html?highlight=book#post201196

New Soils Book;

Nardi, a scientist at the University of Illinois, writes in his newly
published book, "Life in the Soil," that a square meter of healthy garden
soil is home to 10 trillion bacteria, 10 billion protozoa, 5 million
nematodes, 100,000 mites, 50,000 springtails, 10,000 creatures called
rotifers and tardigrades, 5,000 insects and arachnids, 3,000 worms and 100
snails and slugs. Throw in the occasional mammal such as a chipmunk or a
mole, and a salamander or two, and you get the idea that you don't have to
travel to the Brazilian rain forest to luxuriate in the biodiversity at our
feet.

washingtonpost.com - nation, world, technology and Washington area news and
headlines <http://washingtonpost.com/>

There was a Popular Canadian book published last year on all this but I am
sorry I can't remeber its title.

You may be best researching the web as this area is changing so fast.
Especially now with the new interest in bacteria and Global Warming
Good Luck
Let us know what you find
MA

On 07/03/2008, Frank Teuton <fteuton at videotron.ca> wrote:

> http://www.amazon.ca/Nature-Properties-Soils-Nyle-Brady/dp/013227938X/ref=dp_return_1?ie=UTF8&n=916520&s=books

Michael the Archangel

"You can fix all the world's problems in a garden. . . .
Most people don't know that"
FROM
http://www.blog.thesietch.org/wp-content/permaculture.swf