[Terrapreta] observations on charcoal weathering

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Mon Mar 10 01:04:10 CDT 2008

Few weeks ago hiking on a clearcut above my home I came across a burn
pile with charcoal that had been exposed to weather for 2 winters.
Here is a flickr image of this weathered charcoal. Looking at this you
can see how the char lumps are flaking as perhaps the water works into
an freeze/thaw cycles. Perhaps though it is strictly water working
into the pores. This weekend Larry and I worked on the charcoal piles
we had stored under a tree at my property. We had 2 types left over
from last years research project and were curious how each kind would
change with simple aging.

First the batch of our homemade was about 2 inch minus when stored.
Here and here   and here is how it looked when we first made it and
stored. Our current plan is to take this charcoal batch and the other,
a charcoal powder supplied by John Flottvik then combine them into a
compost with alfalfa and organic rich soil we had available. Since our
charcoal  was great in barbecue we were planning to rake out big
pieces and save for cooking. We noticed though that the charcoal had
become rather soft and broke up as we raked it around. Here and here
are some images of it at present. Since we were sheltered in my dense
forest homesite the ground did not freeze hard so this crumbling must
just be a function of water saturation. I wonder if this kind of
breakdown happens in the tropics?

Here and here are images of the charcoal/compost pile under
construction. As Larry and I are convinced that charcoal is best pre-
seasoned with nutrients and microbes before using in soil, this is our
current effort to match Larry's success of 2 years ago.  The pile is
laid out about 18 inches deep to keep it from heating too much between
turnings and will most likely be ready to use by July. My share of the
pile will be worked into my planned winter vegetable patch shown here
ready for spring planting. Growing vegetables in the forest like this
is a challenge as sunlight is both seasonal when the sun is high and
passing through the summer tree canopy.

Lastly we did find some earthworms in the charcoal powder just under
the soil cap we put over the top. Also a spectacular mushroom we have
in this corner of my place, Lepiota procera - the Parasol Mushroom
that grows in fairy rings, did have mycelium moving into the char
shown as above.

Rich