[Terrapreta] carbon trading

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Thu Mar 13 21:56:53 CDT 2008

Hi Richard, Folke, Lou,

I like what you mentioned about micro-finance projects related carbon credits, Richard.  This is the true spirit of the Kyoto Protocol.  Annex I, developed countries (at least, the signatories) need to buy the credits and they need to put those funds into the development of climate mitigating technologies  and techniques in third world developing countries.  Micro finance could be a real easy way to make this happen now.  This money could put vast potential other benefits in third world countries too!

I think it has been mentioned, but "all hands on board now, educate your children, and help third world countries to live this way" all come to mind when considering what to due about the impending energy crisis and global climate change conflux.  Fast mobilization of Terra Preta forming work, charring (carbonizinng, and/or pyrolyzing) equipment, to/with people in other countries doing this work is vital.

With an exportable (micro) finance system to support the efforts, 370 Euros?/ton for 6 to/ha of charcoal from 22 ton/ha dry biomass put into soil or some US$/ton earned from making and putting charcoal-in-soil can go into supplying a third world group with equipment and know-how to turn biomass into charcoal-in-soil.  The new groups work their could soon pay the ROI (with earned carbon credits) and possibly produce big dividends on investment there. This could be a workable business plan.

>From what I have heard of micro-finance, this could be the kind of thing that works.  People who invest with micro-finance want a very real way to think they are doing something beneficial for the other end of the transaction when they do it.  With carbon trading transactions, Global Climate mitigation work has to go on at the other end, in specifically a third world developing country.  Only developing countries can earn carbon credits.

The sunshine and soils that grow plants and the biomass that holds the carbohydrates for charcoal-in-soil and energy-from-biomass are already distributed in all the diverse places "out there", where the energy and the charcoal (for putting into soil) also are needed.  What is mainly needed now, is have people on the ground "out there" doing it there, with the right equipment and knowledge.  We need to spread the growth in this "carbon trading scheme" onto the other side of the planet, and probably all the way back to here eventually.  I like how international micro-finance can start the groundswell over there and anywhere all that much sooner.

This seems more and more like a great idea now that I think about it.  Richard, we must find a way to make micro-finance work with carbon credits for dissemination of Terra Preta Nova concept and expanded efforts on what we are trying to do here.