[Terrapreta] -----and Net Present Value of TP Benefits

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Sun Mar 16 01:57:04 CDT 2008

On Mar 15, 2008, at 10:45 PM, Sean K. Barry wrote:

> Hi Kevin,
>
> "invest or not to invest.... that is the question."
>
> Neither Hamlet, nor Shakespeare was much of a businessman.  Invest
> in charcoal-in-soil IS the answer.  It's like 42.  It can answer all
> of your questions.  Not investing into charcoal-in-soil has some
> predictable outcomes and realized opportunity costs.  Accountants
> and fiduciaries, bean counters, whoever, I think the decision to
> adopt TP is not to be made only on present day or present value
> economics (or maybe it is for just some?).
>
> The science behind the climate trends and its causation by human
> activity is very compelling.  Compelling enough that this kind of
> human activity should be changed radically and/or stopped real
> soon.  I don't think economics now prove this.  I do think economics
> will prove it out in the end, though.  The consequences of inaction
> on this front will have radical effects on world economics in the
> long run.  The best businessmen, the ones around the longest, saw/
> see into the future the furthest.
>
> Your well managed lands would not likely benefit as much from TP as
> would my "never farmed" or "ignored for 60 year" lands.
> Do you think that is possible?  Fallow land might be in better
> fertile shape than heavily farmed land, even if well-managed.  That
> land certainly will not be polluted with too much industrial
> chemicals, nor will it lack SOM like heavily fertilized, heavily
> cropped, and degraded land.

Kevin is correct here. Keep in mind the differences in climate and
soil types. In northern Michigan (my experience) the soils are acid
leached with white silica sand on surface and are classified as
podzolic.

Podzols (PZ) Acid soils with a subsurface accumulation of Spodosols
iron-aluminium-organic compounds

and the moist tropics

Ferralsols (FR) Deep, strongly weathered soils with a chemically poor,
Oxisols
but physically stable subsoil

In some places here in PNW on glacial till, with soils of granitic
origin the farmers never need to fertilize. Fallow ground here on our
sandy loam OM levels are around 6%

> Just and observation and I hope you do not mind my saying this.
> But, doing a "Net Present Valuation" on Terra Preta formation is
> really kind of shallow and short sighted in my opinion.  The greater
> potential benefits from TP are mostly in the out years and lack real
> measurability.
> The benefits include many things, beyond and still including all of
> the potential agricultural benefits.  What do you think the NPV of
> the Terra Preta formations was that the ancient Amazonian peoples
> built?  Aren't these TP sites in Amazonia still accruing benefits
> thousands of years later?

Not so, Sean We will need a equivanlent of NPV or cost/benefit for
each soil/climate provenience.