[Terrapreta] Net Present Value and Net Future Value of TP Benefits

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Sun Mar 16 13:07:54 CDT 2008

Dear Lewis

Thanks for your "financial and evaluating overview."

Certainly, there are problems with the various relevant techniques.
Probably many of the problems can be traced back to the phenomenon:
"Figures never lie, but liars often figure." I would guess that the
potential for problems would be greatest when the Evaluator has a vested
interest in the outcome AND other peoples money is being spent. However,
if the Evaluator is sincerely looking for guidance on the best way to
proceed AND if it is his own money at stake, then the likelihood for
bias or error is much less, unless the Evaluator is incompetent or
dishonest to himself.

Other factors of relevance could include Size, and Seriousness.
Evaluating an investment costing say $1,000 does not justify the level
of effort and the thoroughness that would be justified if $100,000 was
at stake. On the other hand, where a $100,000 loss may destroy a small
Investor, a large Company may be able to afford such a loss with as
little consequence as a $1,000 loss to a Small Player. A Small Player
contemplating a $100,000 investment would have to be very thorough and
complete with such an analysis, in that an unfavourable outcome could
have disastrous consequences.

Best wishes,

Kevin