[Terrapreta] What is so bad about global warming?

Frank Teuton fteuton at videotron.ca
Mon Mar 17 09:39:19 CDT 2008

Hi Kevin, et al

Doing R&D is of course not out of synch with earning a living....see for example the fine success stories of Eliot Coleman, a major innovator in small farming, and Joel Salatin, organic vegetables and meats respectively.....

A simple and relatively inexpensive way for small farmers to test an idea is to do a test strip in each different field condition they possess, and see if the test material results in improved growth.

Coleman already suggests using charcoal to create surface soil that heats up faster in the spring, for example....this sort of benefit is likely to be crop and season specific.

I support Kevin's resistance to being dogmatically bullied into biochar application with no regard for how it affects his bottom line.

Remember that farming is increasingly large scale corporations, with a great deal of experience 'farming the government'...and that all farming occurs more or less within a framework of society in which government plays a key role.

If charcoal incorporation into soil has an actual horticultural/agronomic benefit which supports it on its own terms in a particular application, so much the better; but, where it offers little or no benefit except in the global sense the farmer (corporate or familial) will need for the larger society to recompense him for his cost of incorporation. Indeed, where charcoal incorporation offers no benefit it might be best to just dump it into an old mine shaft at lower cost than agricultural application, right?

I think we all need to realize that this concept is still very much in the R&D phase and adjust our rhetoric accordingly.

My two cents,

Frank Teuton