[Terrapreta] Net Present Value vs. Net Future Value of Terra

MMBTUPR at aol.com MMBTUPR at aol.com
Mon Mar 17 14:46:37 CDT 2008

          from          Lewis L Smith

When we talk about "subsidies" for renewable energy, terra preta et cetera,
we must remember that the market prices of fossil fuels do not reflect the full
cost of their combustion to Country X taken as a whole, that is "Country X,
Inc.". So it well may be that the recipients of "subsidies" are actually being
compensated for the "hidden costs" of fossil fuels which they eliminate, and
maybe not to the full degree that they should be.

In Puerto Rico, for example, I have identified five hidden costs of petroleum
fuels   >>>

At any time   >>>

[1]     The damage to the health of human beings and the increase in the
maintenance cost of buildings, equipment and machinery due to environmental damage
which these fuels cause, EVEN WHEN all environmental regulations are complied
with. I estimate that this hidden cost is at least $12 a barrel or at least
two cents per kWh on the bus bar, assuming 600 kWh per barrel.

[2]     The cost of managing a budget and cash flows when the operations of
an organization are subject to unexpected price spikes and supply delays or
interruptions. For example, the unexpected appearance of a succession of very
large energy bills may   at some point force an organization to borrow
temporarily from a bank.

[3]     The cost of lost sales from the "motor" sectors of ones economy to
outsiders or sales which would otherwise have substituted for imports into that
same economy, because of the high cost of energy faced by local producers of
goods and services.

[4]     The cost to ones economy of businesses which do not establish
themselves in ones country, because of the high costs of energy.

In "normal times"   >>>

[5]     An imputed premium on a virtual insurance policy against oil-price
spikes. I estimate this to be at least 29% of the "normal" price of crude, for
countries without own oil production. For example, if that price is taken to be
$60 per barrel, then the premium is $17.40 or 2.9 cents per kWh.

I have no way at present of estimating items [2] through [4] for any economy,
including ours.   However, my gut feeling is that in Puerto Rico the sum of
these three items is at least 30% of the sum of [1] and [5].   This would give
us a total of hidden costs of at least $38.22 per barrel in normal times, or
6.4 cents per kWh.

This latter figure is 70% of the highest "avoided cost" recognized for any
renewable-energy source by our PR Electric Power Authority.

So you see, it doesn't really matter what the true figures for hidden costs
are. The minimum estimates are high enough to change a lot of decisions about
the "feasibility" of renewable energy project and to change many alleged
"subsidies" into "incomplete compensation" for services rendered to the local
economy.

Cordially.   ###

It's Tax Time! Get tips, forms, and advice on
AOL Money & Finance.
      (http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolprf00030000000001)