[Terrapreta] Biomass sources

Kurt Treutlein rukurt at westnet.com.au
Mon Mar 17 21:14:35 CDT 2008

Hi folkes,

We're getting a lot of yaketty yak about carbon taxes, what have you.
It's way too early for that. We're getting all sorts of missionary zeal
about turning  as much biomass as possible into char, so it can be
buried, perhaps to improve soil productivity and certainly to sequester
CO2 from the atmosphere. Very nice, but-=----

Where is all that biomass to come from? Cut down existing forests?? Not
good. Grow it on agricultural land? Also not good, we're short of food
now and certain activities to produce bio fuels are exacerbating that.
Use all the "waste" crop residues (eg corn stover)? Also not good. If
you remove that and turn it into char, where is the Soil Organic
Material going to come from? We're short of that virtually everywhere
now, are we going to end up with sterile soils that need artificial
fertilizers to produce anything at all? I mean we've basically got that
now, in many places. Will the improved productivity of the created
Terrapreta Nova make up for it? We don't know, and personally, I doubt
it. We still have to find out if this works anywhere but in tropical
soils like the Amazon.

Were is the biomass going to come from? Sure, there is quite a bit of
waste available, but nowhere enough to provide what we need. (I'm
talking municipal waster here, not socalled "crop waste"). There IS a
possibility:. *ALGAE*. If you haven't already, have a look at
"oil_from_algae" a mailing list that's a next door neighbour. Especially
the early posts as I suspect it's also bogged down in talk about
subsidies and all that crap, at present. An acre of algae pond can
produce huge volumes of biomass. Some of it even has oil in it which
would be usefull for fuel. Easier to grow would be ordinary algae, such
as maybe spirulina. Dry it, pelletize it and pyrolise it--- there could
be your char. Where would you grow it? Desert areas come to mind, even
floating farms, on the sea. Many algae grow quite happily in salt water
so water supplies might not be a problem, though spent water disposal
might be.

The benefits? No degradation of existing farm land, or virgin land
areas. Utilisation of otherwise impossible land areas. Use of the sea.
There would even be the possibility of energy extraction, as such ponds
would heat up in the sun and quite possibly need cooling. Organic
Rankine Cycle power plants come to mind. They are already in use.

Lets try thinking outside the square paddock on land.

regards,

Kurt