[Terrapreta] Biomass sources

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Mon Mar 17 22:38:47 CDT 2008

Dear Kurt

You raise some interesting points but I would suggest your concerns are
very premature. Generally speaking, we don't know how to make TP, how to
use it to greatest advantage, its cost of implementing and the value of
returns.

I think we are getting away off track by promoting TP as the Saviour of
the Atmosphere. TP is primarily a growth medium, and its CO2
sequestering capabilities are a secondary benefit. The tail should not
wag the dog.

There is a huge annual tonnage of biomass that is otherwise waste, that
could be used for char production without necessitating the cutting of a
single tree and without depriving any soil anywhere of its necessary
organic matter requirements. If it ever gets to the point where wood
supplies are getting scarce, the TP can be used to prepare forest soil
for enhanced forest growth.

There are other Lists for other people to address other options. On the
TP list, lets stick to figuring out how to make TP work, and to
determining TP economics.

Best wishes,

Kevin