[Terrapreta] subsidies

David Yarrow dyarrow at nycap.rr.com
Tue Mar 18 14:02:01 CDT 2008

something to keep in the front of our head while we stare frightfully at the worsening financial meltdown is that food occupies a special priority in every economy, every community, every household.  food is a necessity, not a luxury, or an option.  every day every one must eat.  regardless of what is collapsing the rest of the economy, people must have food.  and food production produces the majority -- over 50% -- of the new wealth that is injected into any economy every year to keep it solvent.  ther may not be a market for cars, computers, TVs, or housing -- but there will always be a demand and a need for food.  thus, the farmer is assured of a market -- of willing, motivated buyers.  and governments (if they survive) will always make a priority to see that food is grown and distributed.

you can't eat coal or drink gasoline.  or eat charcoal -- but at least you can cook with charcoal.

for me, the tough issue here is who can and will grow food.  farmers are less than 2% of the population.  and very few people day have a basic knowledge of simple gardening -- how to plant seeds, harvest crops -- or of animal husbandry.  where are we going to find people with the knowledge, judgment, commitment, and strength to grow food?  very few institutions are truly training new farmers.

then comes the next question: how do farmers put fertility in soil -- and grow and harvest crops -- when fossil fuel energy is not available?  in america, food production consumes more energy than the military -- first for fertility, then for machinery.

for a green & peaceful planet,
David Yarrow
44 Gilligan Rd, E Greenbush, NY 12061
www.championtrees.org