[Terrapreta] Benefits of TP

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Sun Mar 23 12:37:40 CDT 2008

Hi 'terrapreta' list members,

I am still on a vacation, skiing in Colorado.  I've only read some E-MAIL postings and have not written any.  There is one topic which I have seen which I'd like to comment on.  The use of Terra Preta for soil and agricultural improvement VERSUS the use of TP as a carbon sequestration mechanism (charcoal-in-soil)?   I would not oppose either of these as ahead of or before the other in importance or application and I vehemently believe BOTH are ultimately important.  I see the possibility that a solution to BOTH can be accomplished with TP.  I think these two objectives have solutions that are meshed together with formation of Terra Preta soils.   I have seen this and thought this for a long time.

This said, I still focus most of my work and discussion on the latter concept.  I also, do think it is important that farmers see economic benefits as soon as possible and I respect that goal.  Edward Someus and Folke Gunthur recommend BOTH TP for agricultural soil and TP for carbon sequestration, along with reduction in fossil fuel use.  We all think forming Terra Preta involves pyrolysis of biomass to make charcoal.  Gasification of biomass, simultaneous with pyrolysis for charcoal product, can provide usable fuels to replace the use of fossil fuels.  This ties a possible third benefit (3rd solution to a growing problem) into the Terra Preta formation concept.

We should try not to compete for the justification for trying to make Terra Preta anymore.  We need to synergize our efforts and try to achieve our mutual goals, rather than trying to prove the better justification for the effort.  I never call agricultural benefits secondary.  I am concentrating on making-charcoal-for-soil (mostly on the making-charocoal part and leaving the charcoal-for-soil part to others on this 'terrapreta' list).

The economics of making-charcoal are more separate now from the economics of charcoal-for-soil.  Eventually they will mesh.

P.S. Hey Dave (code suidae)!  I was just thrilled to fill my FFV tank with E85 for $1.99/gal the other day in Council Bluffs, Nebraska.  I hope to do that again on the way home.