[Terrapreta] Methane

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Mon Mar 24 10:43:13 CDT 2008

Hi Kurt,

Methane-CH4 which is released into a hot environment (above the ignition temp) which has a more than adequate supply of oxygen, (like in the open air @ ~19% oxygen concentration) will completely COMBUST, producing CO2 and H2O

CH4 + 2O2 => CO2 + 2H2O + heat

Only without adequate oxygen will CH4 molecules be able to survive and not combust.  In fact a great deal of the combustion of biomass occurs as combustion of Methane-CH4 that was released from the biomass.  Open burning does not release much if any CH4.  Unless the oxygen is limited spots, produced Methane-CH4 burns readily, and creates more heat.  More CH4 + more oxygen = more complete combustion products and more heat.