[Terrapreta] Char made made under pressurized conditions?

Greg and April gregandapril at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 28 12:30:40 CDT 2008

Thinking about making char, for the past week, and coming to the conclusion that a retort, modified version of:  http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org/jattaretort .

The modifications would ( at least ) consist of a roof and chimney, as to contain all the burning biomass, and a stainless steel drum.

While thinking of the modifications, I remembered that someone on the list, mentioned trying to use a water heater, to make a retort, and going over what might be needed to modify the water heater for such use, I remembered that water heaters have pressure release valves, and the question occurred to me, " What would be the result of producing char, under pressurized conditions? "

The more I pondered it, the more the idea intrigued me.

Does anyone know what would be the result of such char production?

Under low pressurized conditions ( say 15-25 psi )?
Under mid range pressurized conditions ( 25-50 psi )?
Under high pressurized conditions ( 50+ psi )?

One thought, is that distillates would ( at increasing pressure ), have carbon chains of increasing size.

Does anyone else have any idea?

Greg H.

Greg H.