[Terrapreta] Beyond Zero Emissions interviews Dr Lukas Van Zweitan

Shengar at aol.com Shengar at aol.com
Fri Mar 28 19:50:24 CDT 2008

Hi All,

Beyond Zero Emissions interviews Dr Lukas Van Zweitan senior research
scientist of the NSW Department of Primary Industries (DPI). Who is working  hand-on
with soil research focusing on Bio Char (Terra Preta de Indio / Agri  Char)

Lukas Van Zweiten: "We actually harvested that plot this  week and we've seen
some amazing differences. Its a bit early to give you the  exact data at this
point in time, but we've seen probably double the biomass  production and
double the sweet corn yield where we've had high rates of biochar  application in
the soil. That's somewhere between 10 and 20 tonnes per hectare  of biochar.
And, yeah, we've had some very, very significant differences in corn
production there.
We've also had a look at nutrient analysis in the leaf content, and again
different biochars acting in the soil. I guess it's an interaction between the
plants and the soil, but we're getting a very different uptake of nutrients
into  the leaf material when we have biochar present. And we're also seeing
differences in greenhouse gas emissions from the soil."
"we've found with some of the biochars in that we've had very, very
significant reductions in nitrous oxide emissions from the soil; between five-  and
ten-fold reductions in nitrous oxide emissions."

_http://beyondzeroemissions.org/2008/03/21/lukas-van-zweiten-nsw-dpi-biochar-a
grichar-terra-preta-soil-trials-zero-carbon_
(http://beyondzeroemissions.org/2008/03/21/lukas-van-zweiten-nsw-dpi-biochar-agrichar-terra-preta-soil-trials-z
ero-carbon)

Erich J.  Knight
1047 Dave Berry Rd.