[Terrapreta] Char made made under pressurized conditions?

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Sat Mar 29 15:17:03 CDT 2008

Hi Jeff, Greg,

I've heard of both a nitrogen flush Nitrogen-N2 and a CO2 used to cool charcoal after it has been produced.  Jeff is right that allowing air containing oxygen to come into contact with hot charcoal will just continue the combustion.  Nitrogen-N2 is a good purg gas because it is relatively cheap and has no oxygen whatsoever (combustion cannot occur).  It N2 is passed through a charcoal bed and cooled , then it will readily remove the heat form the charcoal.

Someone else mentioned another problem with charcoal in containers once.  I think it was a guy from Eprida and Adrianna Downey from Best also confirmed this;  a sealed container of fresh (but cool) charcoal needs to be dumped slowly or aired out first before storing longer.  This is because some of the volatile matter that condenses onto the charcoal as it cools is highly combustible and can even spontaneously ignite in open air.  It's like rags with linseed oil on them in open air in a trash can.

I think I will try to use Nitrogen-N2 in my reactor.  Using cooling with a non-oxidant purge gas can speed up the process of making charcoal by moving charcoal out of the reactor faster.  Dr. Antal's reactor and most kilns/retorts are batch type pyrolysis reactors.  Continuous feed/removal of charcoal systems would likely need to cool charcoal before it is removed from the reactor or immediately thereafter.