[Terrapreta] Char made made under pressurized conditions?

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Sat Mar 29 16:39:51 CDT 2008

Hi Jeff,

This is an interesting idea, because of the free source of cool ammonia-NH3 gas from from off a compost pile.  I wonder what the concentration of ammonia-NH3 in air is?  It is entirely possible that ammonia-NH3 would be absorbed into charcoal, but maybe in the form of a solidified ammonia salt, like ammonium bicarbonate (NH4HCO3), rather than as a gas.  I don't believe NH3 gas reactes with carbon-C atoms on the surface of the charcoal.

Eprida had/has a product called ECOSS which has (I believe) ammonium bicarbonate deposited on the surface of the charcoal (like an M&M candy coating).  Some of their early bags smelled like ammonia when first opened, I heard.  I think making a fertilized with ammonia charcoal product would require some way to "fix" the NH3 molecules onto the charcoal.