[Terrapreta] Soil Food Web

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Thu May 1 19:21:58 CDT 2008

Hi  TP list,

This Dr. Elaine Ingham sounds like a very interesting person and I agree (because she has such close ties to the organic growing movement) that she could be a very good ally for Terra Preta Nova development.

Although she does seem to express over the wide C:N ratio that can be imparted to soil by amendment with charcoal, I think that charcoal carbon does not serve the same purpose in the soil as normal organic carbon.  Charcoal carbon seems to be almost "inert".  Charcoal carbon is not food for fungus, like carbon in decaying carbohydrates (the normal form of organic carbon).  Perhaps Dr. Ingham has not been informed enough about TP soils in the Amazon, which were formed with fire-derived charcoal.  Perhaps also, she might be able to confirm the contents of TP soils which are most active in enhancing the fertility of TP soils, for us.

One other point I'd like to make is that fire-derived charcoal from biomass normally is made in a temperature range much hotter than 175-180C.  It is more like 450-600C.

It would truly be great if Dr. Ingham would take more interest in the agricultural research that is being done with charcoal-in-soil,  She may be better equipped than many participants on this list to really asses what is going on with charcoal-in-soil amendments.

Thanks David Yarrow for the text of the interview with Dr. Ingham.