[Terrapreta] Fwd: Scientific American Story on Charcoal Decomposition

folke Günther folkeg at gmail.com
Fri May 2 09:24:27 CDT 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: folke Günther <folkeg at gmail.com>
Date: 2008/5/2
Subject: Re: [Terrapreta] Scientific American Story on Charcoal
Decomposition
To: still.thinking at computare.org

Here is the summary in Science:

Science 2 May 2008:
Vol. 320. no. 5876, p. 629
DOI: 10.1126/science.1154960

Prev <http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/short/320/5876/626>  | Table of
Contents <http://www.sciencemag.org/content/vol320/issue5876/index.dtl>  |
Next <http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/short/320/5876/630>

Brevia

Fire-Derived Charcoal Causes Loss of Forest Humus

David A. Wardle,* Marie-Charlotte Nilsson, Olle Zackrisson

Fire is a global driver of carbon storage and converts a substantial
proportion of plant biomass to black carbon (for example, charcoal), which
remains in the soil for thousands of years. Black carbon is therefore often
proposed as an important long-term sink of soil carbon. We ran a 10-year
experiment in each of three boreal forest stands to show that fire-derived
charcoal promotes loss of forest humus and that this is associated with
enhancement of microbial activity by charcoal. This result shows that
charcoal-induced losses of belowground carbon in forests can partially
offset the benefits of charcoal as a long-term carbon sink.

Department of Forest Ecology and Management, Swedish University of
Agricultural Sciences, SE901-83 Umeå, Sweden.

* To whom correspondence should be addressed. E-mail:
david.wardle at svek.slu.se