[Terrapreta] ENVIRONMENTAL GROUP ENDORSES OBAMA

Benjamin Domingo Bof benjaminbof at yahoo.com.ar
Sat May 3 14:31:57 CDT 2008

   National Environmental Group Endorses Barack Obama for President

   Friends of the Earth Action cites senator’s stand for real energy solutions instead of sham Clinton-McCain ‘gas tax holiday’ as key reason for endorsement

   WASHINGTON,  D.C. —Friends of the Earth Action, a national environmental group based in Washington ,  D.C. , announced today that it is endorsing Senator Barack Obama to be the nation’s next president.

   “We endorse Senator Obama because we believe he is the best candidate for the environment,” said Friends of the Earth Action President Brent Blackwelder.  “The ‘gas tax holiday’ debate is a defining moment in the presidential race.  The two other candidates responded with sham solutions that won’t ease pain at the pump, but Senator Obama refused to play that typical  Washington game.  Instead, Obama called for real solutions that would make transportation more affordable and curb global warming.  He showed the courage and candor we expect from a president.”

   Experts agree that gas prices are likely to decline only slightly under a Clinton-McCain “gas tax holiday”—if they decline all.  Instead of signing onto this gimmick, Obama has called for long-term solutions that would limit oil consumption by requiring cars to be more fuel efficient and expanding transportation options including passenger rail.

   Blackwelder cited Obama’s strong pro-environment record, his policy proposals, the profile he has given global warming in his campaign, and the broad mandate he is building for change as other reasons for the endorsement.  Obama earned a 96 percent rating from the League of Conservation Voters during his first two years in the Senate.  Blackwelder said Friends of the Earth Action plans to inform its more than 100,000 activists in the U.S.  about its support for Obama and to campaign for him in remaining primaries.

   Friends of the Earth Action previously endorsed John Edwards in the Democratic primary process and engaged in early state independent expenditures on his behalf.

   ###

   Friends of the Earth Action (www.foeaction.org) provides extra muscle to our sister organization, Friends of the Earth, in legislative battles affecting our environment. FoE Action and our affiliated PAC also serve as Friends of the Earth's political arm, making thoughtful political endorsements, providing direct support to candidates, and placing environmentalists in the field on critical campaigns. Friends of the Earth Action's mission is to promote a clean, healthy and just world and to ensure that we have lawmakers who will work to protect the environment.

Yahoo! Encuentros
Ahora encontrar pareja es mucho más fácil, probá el nuevo Yahoo! Encuentros.
 Visitá http://yahoo.cupidovirtual.com/servlet/NewRegistration