[Terrapreta] Biochar attacked in Gristmill: please leave your comments

Robert Klein arclein at yahoo.com
Mon May 5 18:53:20 CDT 2008

What this result is saying rather loudly is that charcoal accelerates the microbial breakdown of organic material and the release of their nutrients.  The next question is were do these nutrients end up?  I think that they are largely bound into the carbon providing a long term nutrient sink.  We really need some truly imaginative science that clarifies this once and for all.  You wonder why I saw little future fifteen years ago pursuing the application of carbon to soils.   It needed several lifetimes to get it right and that has since been provided by the folks in the Amazon.

arclein