[Terrapreta] interesting situation

MFH mfh01 at bigpond.net.au
Thu May 8 19:34:29 CDT 2008

Jim,

My recent soil tests give data like:

Calcium (Mehlich III)		389ppm (ideal = 1347)
Magnesium (Mehlich III)		384ppm (ideal = 157)
Ca/Mg ratio				0.61:1 (ideal = 5.15:1)

The explanatory notes include:

CA/MG Ratio:  This is the single most important fertility ratio and should
be around 5:1 for light soils and 7:1 in heavier soils. Low Ca/Mg ratios are
usually indicators of serious problems. These include compacted soils,
bacteria that can't proliferate, and weed take over. An appropriate Ca/Mg
ratio will be an obvious consequence of the successful achievement of cation
balance.

>From other sources, if the CA/MG ratio is below 2, it is difficult for the
plant to take up potassium.

There's lots of web info available, e.g:
www.spectrumanalytic.com/support/library/ff/Ca_Mg_ratio.htm

Cheers, Max H