[Terrapreta] Soil Food Web

Larry Williams lwilliams at nas.com
Fri May 9 12:48:53 CDT 2008

yep! tony your on target. years ago, i noted in my readings on steam
ecology how one specific insect used a spacial area over a stream
that was ten feet off the water, that is, the insect needed a
decaying log of a certain size that was overhanging the waters of the
stream. a very specific structural requirement.

---------
a great "ah haw" happen on a landscaping job for a local TV station,
kvos, in bellingham. we were planting two 6-7' flowering plum trees
on the back side of some communication discs. after the trees were
planted, staked and a small water basin was created around the trunk,
i placed the tools and debris in a wheel barrow and walked away. at
10 -15' from the last tree planted, i turned around to see how the
trees looked, as i did an english sparrow landed in the branches of
one of the trees. the first tree had been in place for under 30
minutes and the second tree for 10 minutes.

comments made much earlier regarding forest ecology and comments at a
later workshop on mine restoration sites made sense with this event.

the previous weekend to planting the trees at the kvos site I had
been in a restoration conference in portland (oregon, usa) where one
of the speakers had said that "structure leads to function". the
speaker was restoring mine sites in utah and was referring to planted
shrubs whose branches were, when established, were used by spiders to
catch insects. he also noted that in the nutrient poor mind sites
that the shrubs acted as a collector of nutrients and moisture (dew).
wind blown organics lodged around the stem of the shrubs and helped
to retain soil moisture and provide habitat.

the landing of the english sparrow in the just-planted tree clarified
problems that I was having in understanding the significance of
function and structure in forest ecology. a year earlier jerry
franklin and chris maser (pacific northwest forest researchers) were
discussing these concepts and their significance in the forest
ecology. i was puzzled. these researchers had not placed a real event
to the concepts of function and structure. i was unable to use their
information.

the landing of the english sparrow in the just-planted tree clarified
problems that I was having in understanding the significance of
function and structure in forest ecology. the phrase, "structure
leads to function" and the sparrow landing in the just-planted tree
made clear to me it's importance.

when charcoal with it's pore spaces are occupied with microbes and
when charcoal, consisting of carbon binding sites for nutrient ions,
is used then the structure, charcoal, hosts the functions of
microbes, fungi, roots and nutrients.

what a neat process and consider it's potential if replicated-------
larry

p.s. could someone explain entropy in this process? does dr. wardle's
work express some aspect of entropy?