[Terrapreta] DEFORESTATION guy is crazy

lou gold lou.gold at gmail.com
Fri May 9 18:08:39 CDT 2008

Lorenzo,

Your statistics are spectacular -- even with "constraints" as
Max suggests.

I think the key to what Maggi is saying is that there is agriculture and
there is agriculture. And, there are subsidies or not -- both for stable
prices and for new soil restorative technologies which could make "marginal"
land more productive.

What Maggi misses completely is the fact that the rain of the "rainy areas"
is produced by the forest. It vanishes with deforestation.
*
Then we will have to choose between planting in rainy areas, where
production is guaranteed, or occupy marginal areas, which bring many
problems for farmers. The lack of rain causes important losses in Sao Paulo
or in Mato Grosso do Sul. To have food in these regions, we must make a
policy of guaranteed incomes and prices, if not the producers will colapse.*

http://lougold.blogspot.com
http://flickr.com/visionshare/sets
http://youtube.com/my_videos