[Terrapreta] Soil Food Web

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Sat May 10 23:06:13 CDT 2008

Hi Jim,

I saw an interesting stat not long ago: we have half the land under cultivation, worldwide, as we did in 1950.

That is a very interesting statistic and one I've never seen before either.  I think it supports the arrogant position that western agriculture can justifiably make that it can produce more foos per acre than anything known before.  But, doesn't it make it all too clear also, that western agriculture has learned to juice up modern soil production methods with the use of fossil fuel based industrial fertilizers.  Aren't some of the reasons that some of those acres/hectares of used land were lost is because the over use of industrial fertilizers has degraded the SOM and the performance of the soil on some of the land.  Organic fertilizers and no-till methods have been studied for at least 30-40 years now and they are methods that can remediate some of this, right?  Do you think charcoal can be a new tool also for soil remediation?  Can you see ways that it could be used to do some of the things you are trying to do more effectively or more efficiently?

I have a friend who is a Professor in the Ag department at the University of Minnesota.  I think he has a PhD in plant Physiology.  We were talking about the spread of western agricultural methods to other parts of the world.  He intimated to me that attempts to "spread" western agricultural methods to India has all but ruined the ability to grow crops there.  This, he said occurred in some partbecause the exported methods did not appreciate the differences in soil and climate in the places it was exported to.

The soils have been made dependent on fossil fuel based fertilizers too now, it seems, and the arable land there is dwindling faster than ours, because they started with poorer soils to begin with and the "juiced up" ag does not build soils for use in the future.  The methods use up poor soils faster and never remediate the problems found in them.

Perhaps Terra Preta Nova formation of new soils could be used, like it was originally used in the Amazon, to remediate poor soils and there may be a recovering of now lost but once arable land.