[Terrapreta] Interesting?

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Mon May 12 08:33:53 CDT 2008

Hi Max,

Yes, this is interesting stuff.  I think the answer about charcoal versus new cardboard from telephone book paper is like six of one, half a dozen of another.  It's recycled either way.  Ask the phone company to refer you to the phonebook printer to ask them about inks and toxins in the paper, if you like.

You say "squillions" of tons of waste.  There is lots of waste, but we could make charcoal out of ALL of it and we would still need many, many more tons of feedstock to make the amount of charcoal I think we will need (several billions of tons per year for the next 100 years or so).