[Terrapreta] Press release about Farm Bill is wrong

Biopact biopact at biopact.com
Mon May 12 19:17:19 CDT 2008

Okay, apologies, but the press release about biochar in the U.S. Farm Bill is based on a misunderstanding. So please don't distribute it.

Here's the situation:
-first a Farm Bill passed the Senate Committee
-then the House past its version (which was approved by the Senate)
-then a text became available on matters to be discussed by the Farm Bill "Conference", which just ended. This is the text containing the Senate amendment on biochar.

However, the purpose of this text is to represent matters to be discussed by the Conference. There is no text available documenting the results from the Conference itself. So it's still possible that the biochar amendment got dumped. However, chances are bigger that it will be retained, because an original amendment called for much larger funding for biochar - so in all likeliness, the amendment containing the lesser funding will pass.

We will have to wait for the publication of the full Conference text. The text up for discussion by the Conference is available at the Senate committee on agriculture: http://agriculture.senate.gov/

Phew, luckily we didn't publish this over at our website. And luckily we got some advice from a knowledgeable individual.

Best, Lorenzo (not an institutional and/or law expert!)