[Terrapreta] Atmospheric CO2 Hits 387ppm

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Tue May 13 22:19:54 CDT 2008

       Photo E-mail   Play slideshow<http://photos.msn.com/Viewing/Album.aspx?PST=8nK2AN1B!1LmPLmC9HXTY9LVsn5oiMLNcNwcDMLfTqI*jmSi*xwM5ZM3aQoMUmZ55d5NLeNw02PYZXGE3DSH4Q%24%24> | Download images <http://photos.msn.com/viewing/Photos.aspx?pi_Type=SlideshowTask&Task=Download&stppData=&pi_ImagesOnly=1&Folder=nBuRgwTGIGhKPWRvXLqz1Py2D6UuzwW4TudljI!ntfA%24&User=LJjObqfwa76VXbJZQ0kB*qDjg1qzizFW&pi_NoLogin=1>
Hi David,

DOES EVERYONE UNDERSTAND THE IMPLICATIONS OF THIS?!!!

Atmospheric CO2 concentrations have risen from 383 ppm to 387 ppm in just the last one year!  This is a very rapid increase!  It is almost a doubling.
It is about as bad as gas prices.

I plotted the numbers David quoted; average rise about 1.5ppm from 1970 to 2000, 2.14 in 2006, and ~4 in 2007.  I picked a close fit polynomial function (R=0.9998) means a close fit, (R=1) means a perfect fit to the data.  This trend shows we will cross the "climate tipping" point of 400ppm in 2013.  That newest data point (up by 4 from 383 to 387) is the biggest outlier.  The actual trend is probably exponential growth (this implies an ever increasing rate of increase).  I predict that like in the past 12 years, that every increase in annual global average temperature will break the previous years record from here on out!  My estimate from this trend and the actual future values BOTH will meat this out.

      <http://photos.msn.com/Viewing/Album.aspx?PST=8nK2AN1B!1LmPLmC9HXTY9LVsn5oiMLNcNwcDMLfTqI*jmSi*xwM5ZM3aQoMUmZ55d5NLeNw02PYZXGE3DSH4Q%24%24>

>From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiative_forcing<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiative_forcing>

... the simplified first-order approximation expression for carbon dioxide<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_dioxide> is:

This is a verified function that accurately has predicted temperature in degrees F increases (delta F) with CO2 concentration increases from historical records of both temperature and CO2 concentrations since recordings of both began.

So, by this estimate the annual global average temperature will rise by ~0.18 degrees F [= 5.35 * ln(400/387)] in the next 5 years.

>From this, we have even more evidence now that CO2 is still rising and rising faster than previously.  This means, again, that ...

1) WE MUST STOP EMITTING CO2 FROM THE BURNING OF FOSSIL CARBON!

2) WE NEED TO REMOVE CO2 FROM THE ATMOSPHERE AT LEAST AS FAST AS WE ARE PUTTING IT IN!

I do not think this is that difficult of mathematics, nor of a concept for most people to understand.

This large of an increase in the rate of rise of CO2 emissions in the atmosphere in just one year is a huge RED FLAG!  It CLEARLY shows that the problems are getting worse and getting worse faster.  That cyclone that hit Myamar is another "tell-tale" sign that the climate activity is increasing.

Please watch this!!!  If we see massive ICE loss on Greenland, worse than last year?  If we see category 5 hurricanes and hurricnaes north of the Equator in the Atlantic again, these too are significant signs.

If gas prices double this year, it may be a good thing?!?!  This will reduce consumption of fossil fuels.   Insulate your houses very well now.  By stock in opil companies.  But a geothermal heating/cooling system for your house.  Live without the air conditioner this summer.  Ride in a carpool to work everyday.
Double up on errands with your neighbor and your car.  Put compact fluorescent light bulbs in every socket in your house.

FIND A WAY TO BURY SOME CHARCOAL THIS YEAR (like 20 tons, each of us in the USA) ... THEN PLAN TO DO THE SAME NEXT YEAR

Plant and grow a vegatable garden in that charcoal-in-soil.  Do it this week!  Then, write Christelle Braun and ask her how to enter your experience into the "experimental database".

NO MORE DOUBTING AND DOING NOTHING!

We ALL really, really, really need to do this now!