[Terrapreta] Max's trials and Tunnel kilns

MFH mfh01 at bigpond.net.au
Wed May 14 07:17:20 CDT 2008

Geoff

The Chinese probably introduced “climbing kilns”

One text I have details ‘beehive’ type kilns on a rising slope for the
production of fired bricks, tiles and household pottery.

Each beehive was around 3m in diameter, and although separate structures,
there was a small tunnel between each beehive on the rise up the slope.

The system, fuelwood, heat transfer and procession was organised so that
when the burn and the setting of the material was nearing completion in the
base kiln, and the remnant heat had pre-warmed the next beehive, the
transfer up the step was organised.

Almost no heat energy was lost. It seems to me that the concept can be
transferred to char production.

And we think we are on to something new?

Max H