[Terrapreta] indigenous practices

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Wed May 14 09:59:03 CDT 2008

Thank you all

I was hoping to pull some dialog on this topic with my initial question.

Locally in the Brazil region is especially interesting for me and May
has addressed this curiosity of mine very well. We do have the
presence of the terra preta (primitive) in the amazon region and some
interesting insight about shamanism and traditional knowledge and how
there is a transition to the present day learning and teaching from
what we inherit from both traditional knowledge and 'modern
scientific' society. Your point May that the need to cooperate and
communicate a new set of sustainable best practices for the small
holder farmer and for that matter the urban environment also is most
critical for our future of society. We have complex multiple tasks to
accomplish.

Where we (global we) are heading has no historical basis  because of
our dependence on finite resources and the cumulative changes coming
to play in the present day. One approach may be to say we should
change all these practices that are creating this situation but yet
society has this powerful inertia  supporting the status quo. Another
approach will be to be forced to adapt to pressures of population and
shifting climate yet in either case we need to find a mode of
communication.

My own interest and career over the past 20 years has been restoration
of natural plant communities in western Washington. I was one of the
first in my region to grow and supply native plants to meet demand
created by government mandated wetlands restoration and the need to
restore riparian zones to protect endangered salmon species and their
rearing and spawning habitats. At first none of us really understood
what and how to do this and much effort was 'wasted' on early
attempts. Yet in time the education, the collective experiences and
sharing demonstrations of what works has made a best practices 'modus
operandi' adapted to our specific climate and level of urbanization.

I have been very impressed by the writings of Drs. Lehmann and Steiner
on the need to change practices of slash and burn to slash and char in
the humid tropics. Yet you are at the same beginning point in this
arena as I was in my own. My own experiences of course are completely
different but the process of collective human adaptation may be very
similar. For me during the early period I was very frustrated and
wanted everyone to change their practices immediately, which did not
happen. The changes that did occur were glacial and began with
innovation, demonstration, education and communication at all levels
especially to and with young children. Children are our best teachers
as they know best to see over the horizon.

Thanks again for this interesting dialog

Rich H