[Terrapreta] Scientific American Story on Charcoal Decomposition

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Wed May 14 11:25:37 CDT 2008

Hi Lloyd,

I think this all goes back to what was the experimental protocol.  If the interest is in changes to soil carbon content, then soil carbon content should be measured first in the charcoal amended plots, before charcoal is put into the soil, and then after the amendments are made and during the test period (several times over the ten year study?).  Controls should also be maintained and measured as well.
With baseline and control measurements of soil carbon content, then adequate measures of change will be measured.  Fluxes of CO2 emissions from soil mean nothing when analyzed in the absence of total amounts (of carbon in the soil).