[Terrapreta] Let's talk retort materials for a little bit

MFH mfh01 at bigpond.net.au
Thu May 15 16:36:16 CDT 2008

Greg

I've never used more than 1/8", 3mm. Had mild steel fire boxes last several
years with this material and fires burning 24/365

Warping is a potential problem as the seal on the end or cap. This is where
reinforcement is needed, and where cast iron is best. Steal some manhole
covers.

Yes, line the outer drum with castable refractory. For a pipe shaped firebox
I used 3mm mild steel for the outer and much thinner galvanised steel sheet
as an inner mould, say 1mm. It could be tack-welded at the join and these
ground off after the cement had set, and removed. Or left in place. After a
couple of fires it will distort and pull away from the cement and can be
removed.

Chimney routing - absolutely from the base before rising. Take it
horizontally for a while before rising and use the heat to pr-dry the next
batch.