[Terrapreta] Composting worms

MFH mfh01 at bigpond.net.au
Fri May 16 16:30:18 CDT 2008

Jim

If you love the potential for charcoal to enhance soil, you've also got to
love compost and worm castings for similar benefits. Industrial-sized worm
farms could reduce landfill by 70% and eliminate traditional sewage
treatment works, while producing rich soil additives. If we're shaking our
collective heads and wondering why we haven't been using char in the soil
for the last 2000 years, we can be equally puzzled by our lack of wide-scale
use of worms. We dump household garbage into massive landfills to degrade
into a slimy methane-emitting sludge.

Composting worms normally used in worm farms are Tiger worms (Eisenia
fetida) and Red worms (Lumbricus rubellis). These are native to Europe and
Asia but have colonised all over the world. It is a guess whether this was
deliberate by early settlers or not.

They are different from the indigenous earthworms in that they live in the
top 10cm of the soil and/or in the mulch layer in forests, for example,
whereas earthworms inhabit down to a metre or more. Composting worms also
eat and procreate at far greater rates, e.g. eat their own weight per day
and double populations every 6-8 weeks. The comparison is pushbike to
Ferrari.

Composting worms will eat anything organic - vege scraps, coffee grounds,
newspaper, poo, lawn clippings, crushed egg shell, animal waste..and convert
into wonderful rich worm castings for adding to the soil. Along the way the
passage of the waste material through the worms removes pathogens.

In simple terms a kilo of worms will consume a kilo of waste and give a kilo
of castings per day. And at the same time they will double in population
every two months.

I've bred up to about 200kg (800,000 worms) but have ready access to cow and
horse manure to feed them. I will keep the breeding up, at least to a level
where I can comfortably access their feed requirements, mainly to get the
castings to improve my soil, but at some stage I'm going to have to think
about selling some off.

For general information: http://www.wormdigest.org
<http://www.wormdigest.org/> .  For supply Google "Worm Farms" or "Worm
Composting" - some US sites include: http://www.happydranch.com/worms.html,
http://www.windsweptwormfarm.com <http://www.windsweptwormfarm.com/> .

a)       just put the "first stage stuff" into a container with bedding
(cocopeat, compost, lawn clippings) and worms and cover with a handful of
more bedding or char, and then cover again with a hessian bag. There's no
second stage. When the worms have consumed the waste it can be used in the
garden. No matter what went in (and I've added dead mice) once the process
is over the material has the crumbly feel and wonderful smell of really
healthy soil

b)       yes, pathogens are removed

Max H

PS - I sent an earlier email direct to your address which bounced.

  _____