[Terrapreta] Question

lou gold lou.gold at gmail.com
Tue May 20 03:24:42 CDT 2008

hi folke,

i can't open the file.

sure, i understand that shifting from open-range ranching into more
efficient feedlot production will reduce the stress. and i also understand
that there are some extremely creative ways that grazing can be integrated
into an intelligent and sustainable land management scheme.

my question is more one of political economy. i can understand the many
benefits of char for producers who grow crops (and how to incentivize them
toward char) but so far i am not able to see the benefits for the meat
industry (thus they will not support char?).

my projections about increased demand for meat? so far it seems to be
associated with economic development. no, it is surely not infinitely
expandable and, yes, the world is going to change its eating habits. but i
do expect a spike in meat consumption (it's already happening) before the
re-balancing occurs and that spike will take down lots of forests. do you
disagree?

thanks for wrestling with this.

lou