[Terrapreta] Question

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Tue May 20 06:37:21 CDT 2008

Hi Lou,

It seems to me that if land can be made more productive in terms of plant nutrition that is grown per hectare, then this should benefit a cattle operation.  Less land needed to raise each beast to maturity ... more head per hectare ... less time fattening them up on the feedlot before slaughter.  Less land cleared to make way for grazing land.  Maybe Terra Preta soil would allow graze land planted in amongst some trees and etc., leaving the forest somewhat more intact, rather than clear cut.  Perhaps Terra PReta soils could make the production of forest crops more profitable ... TP could enable sustainable logging.

I think that in general Terra Preta soils could provide better, more productive and/or sustainable land and therefore land use would be more efficient, requiring less land for conventional cattle/logging, or perhaps other land use possibilities.