[Terrapreta] pulverizing charcoal

folke Günther folkeg at gmail.com
Tue May 20 17:00:58 CDT 2008

I don't know what happens if you have *very *large amounts, but if you add a
reasonable (>a kilo per sq. m) amount of unsorted (up to 4-5 cm pieces) char
to he soil, and wait for a year, then all char will be very soft and easily
split up in smaller pieces. I think the plant roots do most of the on, and
he worms will hunt for bacteria in the char.

2008/5/20 Greg and April <gregandapril at earthlink.net>:

>  Are you sure about that ?
>
> We already have some evidence that when char level get above a certain
> level in worm bins, they don't do very well - probably because it's so
> abrasive.

If you add amounts of char in the worm-bin, the organic material will
disintegrate rather fast, the microbes will be eaten by the worms, an after
some time (faster than you think), almost only the char will be left. It is
evident that the worms don't thrive very well there!

--
NB :Send your mails to folkeg at gmail.com, not to holon.se
Folke Günther