[Terrapreta] pulverizing charcoal

Larry Williams lwilliams at nas.com
Wed May 21 03:58:20 CDT 2008

This photograph, taken by Richard Haard, in a garden situation seems
to support the idea that the critters and the plant roots help to
break charcoal apart. The larger dry piece of charcoal which the
knife point is laying on was in the ground for nearly one year and it
does not resemble the smaller piece of charcoal which had one small
white flat worm (the white oval spot) and apparent plant roots
attached to it. The larger dry piece of charcoal indicates little
biological activity.

I can only suggest that the dry charcoal was buried just after it was
made. Likely it was a product of last spring's earthen mound kiln
with no special attempt to wet, size, fertilize or inoculate it. Is
it possible that pieces of charcoal can be in the ground for a year
and not get saturated? Why?

In my gardening activities, I have found a considerable number of
charcoal pieces that, I believe, have been compacted by foot traffic
during home construction. Usually this charcoal is found when
draining systems are installed or repaired. These photographs are
examples (here, here and here), also taken by Rich. These specific
pieces could have been in the ground since the land was cleared for
construction of the home some ninety years ago and were 4-6" (10-15
cm) below the surface. This charcoal was 18" (45 cm) from an aged
moss covered brick wall with no  noticeable fire markings suggesting
that the charcoal was buried for a period of time that was closer to
the construction of the home than of recent origin.

 From my perspective, the placement of charcoal in the soil needs to
meet certain requirements for it to interact with the soil's biology.
I agree with Max and Folke that the charcoal is broken up by the
local biology in due course. Soil compaction may likely stall the
break up of charcoal (till the next ice age? I live in a location
where the last ice age was fifteen thousand years ago and was a
mile... 1600 meters thick ice sheet).

Keep your eyes open for there is charcoal in more places than you
might believe, just under your foot-------Larry (in the wet Pacific NW)