[Terrapreta] FUELS AND VEHICLES: AN INTEGRATED SOLUTION

Mary Lehmann mlehmann3 at austin.rr.com
Wed May 21 12:00:47 CDT 2008

This effort is sad to see, however well intentioned it is, because in
the first place the need to use less energy has been confused with
energy efficiency.  If my car gets extra miles to the gallon, what is
to keep me from driving more miles? This is like that phoney drive to
add wider, faster roads to shorten commuter time.  People just moved
farther out.

In the second place, no account has been taken of the fact that there
will not be the available energy to make the passenger cars, compared
with the energy economy of mass transit vehicles.  As the energy
shortage gets worse (yes, before it gets better, if you like),
manufacturers and finally the public will be unwilling to forego mass
transit vehicles.  We will be like the Easter Islanders opposing
burning the last trees which should be saved for making boats in
which to move away.

Mary Lehmann